- “Get Down” Jess Kent
- “Chunky” Bruno Mars
- “My Favorite Part” Mac Miller ft. Ariana Grande
- “Cocoon” Milky Chance
- “Need You Still” RVRB
- “I Feel It Coming” The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk
- “Changes” MuteMath
- “King And Cross” Asgeir
- “Ratchet” Bloc Party
- “The One Moment” OK Go
- “Capsize” Frenship & Emily Warren
- “Electric Love” (Oliver Remix) BORNS
- “New Person, Same Old Mistakes” Tame Impala
- “Atlantis” Seafret
- “Waste Of Time” MO
- “High Hopes” Kodaline
- “Carry Me” Bombay Bicycle Club
- “Bad Decisions” Two Door Cinema Club
- “SloMo” San Cisco
- “Ivy” Frank Ocean
- “Proof” Coldplay
Shout out to seeing Coldplay in concert for having a small time Aussie ex-busker as their supporting artist. Jess Kent’s music definitely deserved the attention.
Long time, no talk! Here are the tracks I’m digging at the moment.
Spoiler alert: there is no Frank Ocean on account of not having his album just yet!
- “Oceans” by Seafret
- “Cold Water” by Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber and MO
- “Twice” by Catfish and The Bottlemen
- “Body Say” by Demi Lovato
- “Drive” by Oh Wonder
- “West Coast” by Coconut Records
- “Papercuts” by Illy feat. Vera Blue
- “Boom” by Major Lazer feat. Too Many People
- “Toothbrush” by DNCE
- “Closer” by The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey
- “Ease” by Troye Sivan feat. Broods
Small end note: I saw Troye Sivan live not too long ago and his performance and engagement with the audience just shows how REAL you can be on stage, no matter how big you get! He pulled a lot of things out from the crowd, including a cut out of himself stolen from an Optus store, and lettuce, which he also tasted. Lol. Also took someone’s phone from the crowd and took a ton of crowd selfies! That has only been a dream of mine.
1. “My Number” Foals
2. “The Ghost Inside” Broken Bells
3. “Oceans” Coasts
4. “Evil” Interpol
5. “Ruby” Kaiser Chiefs
6. “Golden Skans” Klaxons
7. “Out of Mind” Magic Man
8. “Kids” Mikky Ekko
9. “Get Free” Yves Klein Blue
10. “The Dynamo of Volition” Jason Mraz
11. “Neon” John Mayer
12. “Cinema” Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go
13. “She’s My Winona” Fall Out Boy
14. “Piledriver Waltz” Alex Turner
15. “Ghost Story” Coldplay
16. “I Will Follow You Into The Dark” Death Cab For Cutie
17. “Yamaha” Delta Spirit
18. “This Old Love” Lior
19. “Jive Babe” Mikhael Paskalev
20. “Magic” Coldplay
She looks past her desktop screensaver
to a better life –
Last night’s rain
clinging lumpy brown mud to her fading red gumboots,
the guilty pleasure of hearing the sludge,
squishing and squirming
at every step.
Still squinting through her sunglasses
from the glaring sun reflecting tenfold off the metal poles
that held up the shade for the Mix Up tent stage.
chasing the sound of sweet melodies and tuning guitars,
Like curious dogs
following the waft of barbecued meat.
The gathering of sweaty bodies,
Jumping in unison,
the odd accidental elbowing
or landing on someone else’s foot.
Craning her neck above the flower crowns
to watch the lead singer bound off the stage,
And lose his shoe to a crowd surf.
People ambling closer as their sound catches wind
and drifts toward strangers hundreds of metres away.
Gradually losing personal space,
but quickly gaining friends.
She didn’t care
about the zero left in her account,
or her rain-soaked duffel bag
with stale clothes inside.
She didn’t care
for her lack of sleep
or the due dates
awaiting her return.
All she cared about was
the live music,
the exotic food,
this carefree music festival
that was the most convenient getaway
from her so-called ‘life’.
She didn’t know until then
that that was not her life.
This, here –
This is living.
1. “Pull Me Down” Mikky Ekko (Ridiculously obsessed with this song right now, I’ve had it on repeat for days!)
2. “I Got” Young The Giant
3. “Heavenfaced” The National
4. “Elephant” Tame Impala
5. “Global Concepts” Robert DeLong
6. “Stubborn Love” The Lumineers
7. “Yet Again” Grizzly Bear
8. “Resolution” Matt Corby
9. “Riptide” Vance Joy
10. “Heart It Races” Dr. Dog
11. “Obstacle 1” Interpol
12. “Best Day Of My Life” American Authors
13. “Heavy Feet” Local Natives
14. “Short Skirt Long Jacket” Cake (Yes, Chuck’s opening theme!)
15. “Back Seat” Atlas Genius
It’s been a while since I’ve made one of these! But I went to the Splendour in the Grass music festival, and I’m just in a permanent musical mood, and I’m also procrastinating, so… why not?! Here’s a playlist, one song from each artist I saw at Splendour.
1. “Pool!” Cub Scouts
2. “Youth” Daughter
3. “Bad Day” Darwin Deez
4. “Resolution” Matt Corby
5. “Babel” Mumford & Sons
6. “Man I Need” Jagwar Ma
7. “I’m Into You” Chet Faker
8. “Deja Vu” Something For Kate
9. “Hang Me Up To Dry” Cold War Kids
10. “Lanterns” Birds Of Tokyo
11. “Alive” Empire Of The Sun (Okay, I HAD to mention this, I was front row and he fricking came down to the audience and stood right next to me, [so close I could touch his butt, what no did i say that no i did not] and he stood there for a pretttty long time, and he was making some really meaningful eye contact with someone near me and very steadily pUT HIS HEADPIECE ON TOP OF HER LITTLE HOMEMADE HEADPIECE AND THEN WENT BACK ON STAGE WHUT. I was on the big screen and everything haha!)
12. “Bloodbuzz Ohio” The National
13. “Mr. Polite” The Jungle Giants
14. “Gasoline” Alpine
15. “Air” Snakadaktal
16. “My Gun” The Rubens
17. “Royals” Lorde (Replaced Frank Ocean who cancelled!)
18. “Breezeblocks” Alt-J
19. “Little Talks” Of Monsters And Men
20. “Carried Away” Passion Pit
As if I even have a favourite song! Just choosing my favourite covers of any song in general.
MGMT – Electric Feel (Katy Perry Cover)
I don’t know why so many people think Katy Perry is a terrible singer. Maybe there’s something completely different about her voice when she sings live, but I think she’s amazing. Having said that, this is actually the only song I have of her, and it sounds nothing like any of her usual songs. What I LOVE about this cover is that it really is a cover – not just another artist playing the same song. That’s what I like about all covers, really.
Architecture In Helsinki – Heart It Races (Dr. Dog Cover)
Again, for completely altering the tone and musical arrangement of the song. So summer-y, so beachy, so chilling out on the balcony on a cold Sunday morning with a cup of tea and a good book and a good view. Psst, I like the cover better than the original!
Kimbra – Two Weeks/Head Over Heels
It’s a mash up cover of Grizzly Bear’s “Two Weeks” and Tears For Fears’ “Head Over Fears” on Triple J. Basically I just love everything Kimbra does. Even covers and arrangements of her own songs are just. Amazing.